Introducing FIREFLY – Salford’s NEW Cali inspired, night time dining area to Foodwell’s health-focused, hip & happening restaurant by day; Firefly has officially now launched to ignite the neighbourhood by night.
After Foodwell’s well established restaurant launch earlier this year, I was delighted to receive my latest invite to dine at the brand spanking new evening eatery for reviewing the cocktails and food menu from their finest selection.
The chic 130-cover restaurant and heated terrace has transformed to become a new late-night concept.
Building on the success of Foodwell, Firefly offers guests various cocktails such as ‘City of Angels’ and ‘Cali Cali’ – you will soon see where the West Coast influences paint the picture…
Since Firefly’s recent opening on the 12th October 2019, the restaurant’s been in full swing and fully booked so make sure to get your reservation in early; open every night from 6pm.
FOODWELL by Day. FIREFLY by Night.
Let’s start with the classy cocktails this place has to offer!
Here’s a few ‘pre-dinner’ cocktails we tried out whilst seated in the slick bar area; all of which I recommend for those with a slightly sweeter tooth.
- Full Moon – Full moon, Full glass; consisting of Tanqueray Sevilla Gin, Peach Liqueur, Orange Oolong Agave & Jasmine Dragon Pearl Elixir.
- SPF 50 – Do Fireflies Need Sun Screen? This light and sweet cocktails included Grey Goose Vanilla, Sweet Dark Fruits, Coconut Syrup & Pineapple.
- Midnight Delight – The Show Must Go On.. An array of dessert type flavours involving Bacardi Cuatro, Toasted Coconut Rum, Coffee Liqueur, Peanut & Almond Syrup – accompanied with a mini pouch of chocolate maltesers.
- Eclipse – Who Said Total Darkness Can’t Be Blinding? Another refreshing cocktail choice which had a mix of Ketel One, Acai Liqueur, Blueberry & Ginseng Syrup & Cranberry.
Nothing like a good old cocktail to get you excited for a little late-night, locally sourced Californian tapas…
Pictured below is the Midnight Delight – I just had to show you the maltesers’ pouch.. Best cocktail glass accompaniment ever!!
The cocktails went down a little too well, which made my guest & I even more excited for the meal ahead we were soon to devour.
We sampled out a few recommended from our friendly waiter; in summary, the Popcorn Halloumi was an absolute taste sensation!
- Nocellara Olives
- Over ice Baked Sourdough Farm butter
- Popcorn Halloumi Honey & truffle drizzle – as mentioned, my personal favourite and snapped below so you get to see the foodie vibe;
Again, another mini starting dish which did not fail to deliver. We ordered the Tempura Prawn dish which consisted of light, crisp king prawns, accompanied with lime & sriracha dipping mayo. Delicious.
This is the part I always look forward to the most – spoiled for choice, we narrowed down to the best two dishes in my opinion;
- Sticky Glazed Blade of Beef – Slow cooked beef with an umami soy & maple glaze, roast Roscoff onion and kale chimichurri.
- Roast Gressingham Duck – Roast duck breast with confit heritage squash, baby beets, blueberry amaretto jus & shredded duck pastille.
With a lot going on from the starting dishes and nibbles, we kept to one side plate to share – and these really just have to be ordered…
- Aspen fries – Parmesan & truffle.
Not to be too over the top (as a fry fan anyway!) but these really were drops of heaven. As a cheese & truffle fan, you can’t really go wrong with this topping on deliciously cooked fries.
Surprised to even have room for more food at this point, I simply could not finish my review of the full menu without trying out a pudding (or two!)
Again trusting the waiter’s well recommended & most popular current dessert dishes, we went for the classic sticky toffee and a VERY chocolate Christmas pudding as below;
- Firefly Sticky Toffee pudding – Miso & kaffir lime caramel & vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate Christmas pudding with salted caramel.
With Firefly launching itself as ‘Cali inspired, locally sourced’, the new dining menu situated within the New Bailey area (a chic & modern business development of Manchester) truly offers an array of Californian tapas, along with larger plates to satisfy everyone.
It was interesting to read up on the founder – Christian Coates’ motives for creating Firefly – a ‘taste of a night out’ whilst allowing customers to enjoy the ‘balanced lifestyle’ that Foodwell has executed in the day time, after launching with its wellness angle earlier this year.
As I hope you can see from the photography captured of the evening, this place is the new up and coming location to enjoy a cocktail with an absolute burst of flavours to please the palate!
Monday – Saturday
Brunch 10:00 – 14:00
Lunch 12:00 – 17:00
Firefly 17:00 – close
Brunch 10:00 – 14:00
Sunday menu 12:00 – 17:00
Firefly 17:00 – close.