Calling all fellow foodies based in South Manchester! Who else has visited Altrincham’s latest restaurant concept, The Wild Goose?
This exciting new eatery offers a collection of eclectic, retro & classic dishes; refined and restored with a modern twist.
It’s no surprise this latest bar and restaurant venture is a new concept formed by the same creative team behind the successful Tre Ciccio restaurants, which are based in Altrincham and Ramsbottom.
I was kindly invited to attend The Wild Goose’s beautiful venue to trial out my favourite dishes consisting of the below shortlist (after careful consideration); recommendations for the full dining experience as follows…
Drinks & Olives:
- Grapefruit Gin & Tonic (served as a double) upon arrival – highly refreshing
- Nocellara olives from Valle del Belice, Sicily. Marinated in chilli, garlic & rosemary; very flavoursome.
The Wild Goose exudes a particularly welcoming atmosphere as soon as entering the modern, rustic chic seating area; the decor has been curated by Homebird, which houses stylish stores locally.
The menu being “retro-esque” holds a unique style with a modern twist, bringing back Anglo-French classics, reflected in the restaurant set up as seen in the images below.
- ’Moules mariniere’ – my go-to appetizer of steamed Scottish mussels cooked in white wine, garlic, cream & parsley
- Pan-roasted scallops with Stornoway black pudding celeriac puree & ‘Thermidor sauce’; the scallops were spot on and placed on the most delicious, well-balanced sauce to compliment the dish.
- Crispy salt-aged duck & bean ‘cassoulet’ with parsley breadcrumbs; duck is my kind of dish but I’d avoid ordering this if not a salt fan (gladly, I am!) The meat was cooked to perfection and delivered a flavoursome finish with being cooked on the bone
- Roast rump of Herdwick lamb with dauphinoise potatoes & peas a la Francaise; a luxurious Sunday kind of dish…
- ‘Pot au chocolat’ with Grand Marnier; a dessert heaven for those with a sweet tooth
- The Black forest gateau also caught my eye and will be a must-try on my return.
Aside from every single pudding looking extremely appetising, I also can’t wait to try out The Wild Goose’s Mezze platter & Chicken Gnocchi!
All in all, this is an exceptional eatery to enjoy excellent service and tasty food in a beautiful, stylised setting. Thoroughly recommend a visit to see for yourself.